In web design, it is always like make no mistake, nice, clean and crisp. However, adding some distressed or grunge effect might add a total different favor to the piece and may even fit more to the certain demographic like bikers, skaters, etc. Some people like to use filters for the effect, but knowing how to do it step by step is crucial and your ability should never be hinder by filters.
1. This is the original art that I use for this particular exercise, and you can certainly pick your own.
3. Open the picture we just found in Photoshop and change it to Grayscale mode. Then use Curves (Cmd + M / Ctrl + M) drastically adjust the contrast.
4. Select All and copy the almost black and white picture. Go back to the image that you would like to manipulate with. Create a new Channel layer and paste the texture image there. If you can’t not find your Channels panel, you can always go under Windows > Channels.
5. While holding the Cmd key (or Ctrl on PC), click on the channel thumbnail that we just added. It will load the
channel as a selection. Turn it back on RGB mode by click on RGB on the top of the Channels panel.
6. What you will do next is to delete (or keep) the selection you made. Go back to the Layers panel, press delete. Or you can add a vector mask, that you can keep the orginal of the image and do some more adjustment to it. And now, it has and totally different feel to it.
Let see the comparsion!
Isn’t it fun and easy to do? Maybe you would probably think that this is it, and that is all you can do with the effect. I guess I have to tell you that you are wrong, because with blending mode and this, you can create a masterpiece of your own. Maybe even something like this!
So, don’t limit yourself and explore the fun of it.